Make money storing content through IPFS

1. feature-name

Make money storing content through IPFS

2. feature-description

It would be interesting to encourage users to store things over the IPFS network. To encourage users it would be interesting to add a payment method, so users receive money by storing things in IPFS.

3. why?

1. This allows users to want to use IPFSā€¦ because they(users) will make money. It is a relationship of mutual exchange between different parties
  2. Most clouds like Mega-nz-co etc, Google drive have business models that work through a monthly, yearly contractā€¦ where the user stores stuff on the server side and in return the company gets a monthly cash , annual etc while keeping these user stuff stored securely.
  3. Protocols such as Blockchain allow a user who mines bitcoin to receive a percentage value to bitcoin - if he manages to mine as expected
1 Like

Filecoin already exists, and this should not be part of IPFS.

4 Likes

thank you for feedback and information.

You could use IPFS to build a system like Mega-nz-co or Google Drive, but it would make no sense for that to be baked into IPFS.

1 Like

Hey! Incentivizing others to run IPFS nodes is a great idea! FileCoinā€™s ICO was one of the largest of all time, IIRC and continues to show extreme promise as a project. It is how I first heard about IPFS (noticed FileCoin green on the charts) haha. There are also services such as Pinata that will pin content ā€œpermanentlyā€ for you (usually static websites, pictures ENS names etc., smaller stuff) for free up to a certain amount of data. TBH, the more I learn about IPFS the less I want big money and the regulation that follows it along hindering the development of the protocol.
What is Filecoin - Filecoin Docs

1 Like

Crust Network is decentralized IPFS pinning service. Anybody can join the network and earn from providing storage.
As suggested, IPFS and Incentives for IPFS pinning should be independent.

Whenever incentives for pinning is mentioned, everyone would just suggest Filecoin already exists, but one thing most people always misunderstand is, data stored on Filecoin is also available on IPFS.

Filecoin and IPFS are different things.

Things stored on Filecoin are not accessible on IPFS, so it is not pinning. Filecoin allows user to store files in decentralized fashion, and censorship resistant. It may use technology like Content Based Addressing, and other features of IPFS. But data stored on Filecoin is not directly accessible to IPFS. Even though storage price is really cheap, you need to pay fee while retrieving files from the network. These fees are decided off chain, so the node provider/Filecoin miner can decide any price they want. Filecoin is great for long term cold storage, but not for frequent or publicly available data.

On the other hand Crust Network is actually decentralized IPFS pinning service. Your content is pinned on the network by nodes and it is publicly available to other IPFS nodes. There is no retrieval fee (as data available through IPFS), anyone can fetch data. Crust is best for pinning IPFS data, that you want is frequently accessed or you want publicly available.

This is my understanding of both networks, I might be wrong. If I am please correct me.

1 Like

@planetoryd @noname @martyvb @slang Hi all! thank you all for feedback! Soā€¦ I think ā€œipfsā€ is the ā€œxanaduā€ project that worked - How?

Soā€¦ I hope to clarify some interesting points of this discussion

1. What is IPFS?

ā€œIPFS is a distributed system for storing and accessing files, websites, applications, and data.ā€

2. What is Xanadu?

"Project Xanadu (/ĖˆzƦnəduĖ/ ZAN-ə-doo)[1] was the first hypertext project, founded in 1960 by Ted Nelson. Administrators of Project Xanadu have declared it superior to the World Wide Web, with the mission statement: ā€œTodayā€™s popular software simulates paper. The World Wide Web (another imitation of paper) trivialises our original hypertext model with one-way ever-breaking links and no management of version or contents.ā€

3. Why?

1. I think IPFS is similar to Xanadu as it is the new web. IPFS is revolutionary like Xanadu, but more popular and usable. Also, it has some ideas from IPFS which is similar to Xanadu.
  2. For example, here I specifically defend an idea of making IPFS profitable, that is, that there is a need for consumption when using IPFS, I argue that for this IPFS adopts a market posture, that is, that what is stored goes back to the user.
  3. That is, it is something close to the idea of Xanadu, where you could earn money storing or distributing content, which is already done with IPFS through Crust Network, FileCoin.

4. Concept

3.1 ā€œEVERY DOCUMENT CAN CONTAIN A ROYALTY MECHANISM AT ANY DESIRED DEGREE OF GRANULARITY TO ENSURE PAYMENT ON ANY PORTION ACCESSED, INCLUDING VIRTUAL COPIES (TRANSCLUSIONS) OF ALL OR PART OF THE DOCUMENT. (9)ā€
3.2 ā€œEVERY XANADU SERVICE PROVIDER CAN CHARGE THEIR USERS AT ANY RATE THEY CHOOSE FOR THE STORAGE, RETRIEVAL AND PUBLISHING OF DOCUMENTS. (15)ā€
3.3 ā€œNelson imagined a micropayment method, baked into the infrastructure, as opposed to the Web, wherein publishers are scrambling to pay for their services with ads and paywalls.ā€
6. Notes or letā€™s go to the facts
  1. I know Filecoin and IPFS are different things. Andā€¦ I know Filecoin already exists, and this shouldnā€™t be part of IPFS. Butā€¦
  2. Protocols such as Blockchain allow a user who mines bitcoin to receive a percentage value to bitcoin - if he manages to mine as expected
  3. Most clouds like Mega-nz-co etc, Google drive have business models that work through a monthly, yearly contractā€¦ where the user stores stuff on the server side and in return the company gets a monthly cash , annual etc while keeping these user stuff stored securely.
  4. This allows users to want to use IPFSā€¦ because they(users) will make money. It is a relationship of mutual exchange between different parties Soā€¦ this is still a viable idea due to these other factors:
  • This increases the quest to improve the IPFS infrastructure without the need for companies or governments. If you have little storage space, you will look for ways to have more storage space which favors the search for a better use of ipfs. This contributes to research, more collaboration in terms of development and greater freedom for people to use ipfs, as well as services and products within ipfs. Are you against this argument in favor of IPFS?
  • " TBH, the more I learn about IPFS the less I want big money and the regulation that follows it along hindering the development of the protocol." - My proposal is not to offer regulation, it is to offer greater freedom to people, whether in terms of the market (law of supply and demand), either as a person (choice of products/services within the ipfs ecosystem), or as a developer (it market , development, technology, research). Soā€¦
  • ā€œA big plus point for the web is that it has become a mass-using standard.ā€ - IPFS must be the new web I think, because it wouldnā€™t make sense to create a protocol as an alternative to the web, if this alternative web protocol is not a common and usable standard. What Iā€™m arguing here is giving people a need to use IPFS. This is not manipulation, this is the market. People should have freedom of choice, in my view, in an economic sense - associating IPFS with Fileicon is giving people that freedom. Are you against the argument that favors IPFS as something usable?

6. More notes

maybe itā€™s a mistake to think about making IPFS a more usable protocol

7. References

1 Like

You can also look at IPFS as a better version of BitTorrent, now if we at a look at it. BitTorrent exists for long time, and it has become synonymous to piracy, with around 20% of internet traffic, and 15M+ concurrent users at given time. People just use BitTorrent to download content, most people seed because of goodwill. Content on IPFS lives because the same does happen with IPFS and at much better than BitTorrent. If you visit a site (dApp) hosted on IPFS, you already have cached it and seeding it.

There are also other reasons why user wants to use IPFS, to access blocked content, to help by contributing bandwidth, etc.

To increase the number of IPFS users, we need to focus more on applications for end users.

Maybe rather than adding incentives to IPFS itself. You need to create other technologies that makes it easy to provide and use storage for IPFS.

Nothing is stopping from creating better use cases for IPFS and improvements in IPFS, just because there is huge storage available doesnā€™t mean we have people who will start developing and collaborating to build things with IPFS.

I think IPFS should become a the new protocol for accessing information on the web.

2 Likes

Your argument is nothing new I think. Iā€™m okay with markets when the supply doesnā€™t meet the needs. The reality is that Filecoin micropayments are expensive and they havenā€™t invented a way to solve it. It means that in most cases building a fair market is harder or more expensive than the pirate way or subscription model.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that filecoin ? IPFS is already served in this manner. Lotus Filecoin ā€œEstuaryā€ is incentivized resilient storage using filecoin.

1 Like

Not really. Filecoin can only incentive storage. It doesnā€™t work as a CDN.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s libp2p and IPFS /IPLD domain correct?

1 Like

Wdym. Filecoin and IPFS are separate things

2 Likes

Wdym wdym ?:see_no_evil: you trying to say you need something else to make your cdn ? Or the incentives handled by filecoin on an IPFS discussion board? Why ? Or are we you trying to be a contrarian for the sake of arguments?

1 Like

I liked all the comments. can someone close this topic?

Closing at your request :slight_smile:

2 Likes