I used helia to run local ipfs node using electron, How to persist nodeId

Every time I start and Stop my electron app, Helia creates new Node with new peerId (NodeId) is there any way to use the same peerId.

I use local storage (windows path) , blockstore , datastore.

also is there any way to get total Size of Pinned content and How many peers accessed pinned content.

@SgtPooki please help thanks

Appreciate your reply.

Can you share the code where you instantiate Helia and the data store?

There are two sizes:

• Size of all the blocks of the pinned content (slightly more than the raw files due to the unixfs metadata)
  • Size of the pinned files

You can enumerate all your pinned blocks with Pins.ls and call the stat on each which returns both relevant sizes: helia/packages/unixfs/src/index.ts at main ยท ipfs/helia ยท GitHub

There might be some nuance around recursive pins and underlying blocks, but that should be enough for you to calculate the size.

Thatโ€™s a tricky one, given that this isnโ€™t tracked by Helia. There might be a clever way to hook into block requests via Bitswap and track this, but I donโ€™t have enough knowledge of the js-bitswap implementation to answer this.

Thanks for your prompt reply. this is my code.

/* eslint-disable no-console */

import { noise } from '@chainsafe/libp2p-noise' // for encrypting connections 
import { yamux } from '@chainsafe/libp2p-yamux'
import { unixfs } from '@helia/unixfs'
import { bootstrap } from '@libp2p/bootstrap'
import { identify } from '@libp2p/identify'
import { tcp } from '@libp2p/tcp' // Required to enable TCP connection for peer to peer communication
import { FsBlockstore } from 'blockstore-fs'
import { FsDatastore } from 'datastore-fs'
import { createHelia } from 'helia'
import { createLibp2p } from 'libp2p'

// the blockstore is where we store the blocks that make up files
const blockstore = new FsBlockstore('block-store')

// application-specific data lives in the datastore
const datastore = new FsDatastore('data-store')

// libp2p is the networking layer that underpins Helia
const libp2p = await createLibp2p({
  datastore,
  blockstore,
  addresses: {
    listen: [
      // add a listen address (localhost) to accept TCP connections on a random port
      '/ip4/127.0.0.1/tcp/0'
    ]
  },
  transports: [
    tcp()
  ],
  connectionEncryption: [
    noise()
  ],
  streamMuxers: [
    yamux()
  ],
  peerDiscovery: [
    bootstrap({
      list: [
          '/ip4/********/tcp/4001/p2p/12D3KooWR6PtoaHyoQZ6tJmjEdGHCNA4LMXctrvnph4DNYYLPprb'
          ]
    })
  ],
  services: {
    identify: identify()
  }
})

console.log(`Node started with id ${libp2p.peerId.toString()}`)
// Save the generated peer ID
//await savePeerId(libp2p.peerId.toString());

// print out listening addresses
console.log('listening on addresses:')
libp2p.getMultiaddrs().forEach((addr) => {
  console.log(addr.toString())
})

// Listen for new connections to peers
libp2p.addEventListener("peer:connect", (evt) => {
  const connection = evt.detail;
  console.log(`Connected to ${connection.toString()}`);

});

libp2p.addEventListener('peer:discovery', (peerId) => {
  // No need to dial, autoDial is on
      console.log('Discovered:', peerId.toString())
  })

// Listen for peers disconnecting
libp2p.addEventListener("peer:disconnect", (evt) => {
  const connection = evt.detail;
  console.log(`Disconnected from ${connection.toCID().toString()}`);
});

const helia = await createHelia({
  libp2p,
  blockstore,
  datastore

})

//console.log(await helia)

// create a filesystem on top of Helia, in this case it's UnixFS
const fs = unixfs(helia)

// we will use this TextEncoder to turn strings into Uint8Arrays
const encoder = new TextEncoder()

// add the bytes to your node and receive a unique content identifier
const cid = await fs.addBytes(encoder.encode('Hello Kava'))

console.log('Added file:', cid.toString())

Hi @danieln kindly check when you have time

Itโ€™s hard to know without knowing the exact versions of dependencies. If you could create a reproduction repo, that would help me help you

Hi,

thank you for the response , this is the content of my package.json

{
  "name": "helia-101",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "private": true,
  "type": "module",
  "description": "Getting started with Helia",
  "license": "MIT",
  "dependencies": {
    "@chainsafe/libp2p-noise": "^15.0.0",
    "@chainsafe/libp2p-yamux": "^6.0.1",
    "@helia/unixfs": "^3.0.0",
    "@libp2p/bootstrap": "^10.0.12",
    "@libp2p/identify": "^1.0.14",
    "@libp2p/tcp": "^9.0.12",
    "blockstore-core": "^4.1.0",
    "blockstore-fs": "^1.1.10",
    "datastore-core": "^9.1.1",
    "datastore-fs": "^9.1.8",
    "helia": "^4.0.1",
    "libp2p": "^1.2.0"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "test-ipfs-example": "^1.0.0"
  }
}

I donโ€™t mind using any simple example . Which can demonstrate example on how to persist nodeId in helia.

This is blocker for my project. I almost done with 90% of my project. Hope to launch soon after fixing this blocker.

Thanks for sharing.

It can be quite time consuming to create a reproduction for such errors. Given this, we ask for a reproduction repo to make it easier for us to debug the problem and find a resolution if needed.

Hi I have created this public repo with required source code.
This has inde.js file and package.json file.

Output of script.

1 Like

Have you tried doing what the docs say? js-libp2p/doc/CONFIGURATION.md at main ยท libp2p/js-libp2p ยท GitHub

using an fsDataStore like you are should be saving the peerId created on first instantiation of libp2p and then re-loading that on subsequent loads.

using electron makes me think that somehow electron is removing those files when started/stopped?

I would need to test to be sure, but another way you can explicitly persist the peerId is by passing it directly in the libp2p config:

{
  // ...
  peerId: savedPeerId ?? await createEd25519PeerId()
  // ...
}

if you were to create the peerId explicitly yourself, and save it to a known location, and reload it, that should solve the problem.

with all that said, using a persistent datastore used to do this for you automatically (and still does AFAIK), but you can look at js-libp2p/doc/migrations/v0.46-v1.0.0.md at c5003d40207bc3be15645b5af93f8dec1fd5d55b ยท libp2p/js-libp2p ยท GitHub and links within for further details

Here is an extremely tiny example showing that libp2p and helia will persist a peerId if itโ€™s saved to the datastore: https://codepen.io/SgtPooki/pen/VwNdWBQ?editors=0011

Thanks so much. this made it really easy to see whatโ€™s happening.

I think because youโ€™re constructing libp2p yourself, some of the required loading of peerId is not being handled (talked about in the link I posted in my comment above)

I pushed up a PR to your repo that fixes the issue, fix: persistent peer ids by SgtPooki ยท Pull Request #1 ยท smakintel/ipfs-helia ยท GitHub.

basically the main fix here is that we construct the libp2p instance with helia, and we get the same peerid:

โ•ญโ”€๎‚ฒ ๏…น ๎‚ฐ ๏ผ ~/code/testing/smakintel/ipfs-helia ๎‚ฐ ๏„“ ๏„ฆ fix/persistent-peerid ?1 ๎‚ฐโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€๎‚ฒ 23s ๏‰’ ๎‚ฒ โ–ผ ๎‚ฒ 21.7.0 ๎˜— ๎‚ฒ 11:12:16 ๏€— ๎‚ฐโ”€โ•ฎ
โ•ฐโ”€๎‚ฒ โœ” ๎‚ฐโฏ node index.js
Added file: bafkreih7eug2oqxx7ft427q4fcce6lnl73q6kmtzaxeldllx266mxr6os4
Node started with id 12D3KooWE4FgCf3o52J9qRSNftRukp9X9buzpPSmznbP4EieUMfM
Added file contents: Hello World 201

โ•ญโ”€๎‚ฒ ๏…น ๎‚ฐ ๏ผ ~/code/testing/smakintel/ipfs-helia ๎‚ฐ ๏„“ ๏„ฆ fix/persistent-peerid !1 ?1 ๎‚ฐโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€๎‚ฒ โ–ผ ๎‚ฒ 21.7.0 ๎˜— ๎‚ฒ 11:15:45 ๏€— ๎‚ฐโ”€โ•ฎ

โ•ญโ”€๎‚ฒ ๏…น ๎‚ฐ ๏ผ ~/code/testing/smakintel/ipfs-helia ๎‚ฐ ๏„“ ๏„ฆ fix/persistent-peerid !1 ?1 ๎‚ฐโ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€๎‚ฒ โ–ผ ๎‚ฒ 21.7.0 ๎˜— ๎‚ฒ 11:15:49 ๏€— ๎‚ฐโ”€โ•ฎ
1 Like

the keychain logic you would need to do yourself is being handled by helia in helia/packages/helia/src/utils/libp2p.ts at b67ac5f16eca1df5534c985045250bdb334a85cf ยท ipfs/helia ยท GitHub

1 Like

Thanks @SgtPooki It was really helpful. I will try these recommendations.

Appreciate your time and reply, This helped me to solve peer id persistent issue. Thank you so much

1 Like

Hi Hector

Appreciate your reply, Sorry I couldnโ€™t reply on time.

Below example provided by @SgtPooki helped me solve the peer Id persistent issue
Here is an extremely tiny example showing that libp2p and helia will persist a peerId if itโ€™s saved to the datastore: https://codepen.io/SgtPooki/pen/VwNdWBQ?editors=0011