WEEK 7 QUESTIONS | May 17 - May 23, 2021

WEEK 7 QUESTIONS | May 17 - May 23, 2021 (times are in EST)

Week 7 is here! :tada: I’ve attempted to highlight interesting or common questions. This week I found a couple interesting unanswered questions. I’ve also included a long one about how to reliably make content available in-browser using js-ipfs, and a StackOverflow question asking about symbolic links in MFS.

Questions

unbeatable-101 asked “I cannot browse my files from the IPFS app” (forum - 20:06 May 19)

Observation:

I wonder what caused this. I’m assuming a configuration change of somesort :thinking:.

nickreserved asked “When file added?” (forum - 16:32 May 19) :white_check_mark:

Observation:

As far as I know such a feature doesn’t exist … yet, you’d have to implement tracking in your own application. zacharywhitley points out there’s a bounty for a similar feature, too:

Cool!

BnMcGn asked “IPFS: Symbolic links in MFS” (StackOverflow - 17:24 May 14)

Is there a symlink equivalent for IPFS’s Mutable File System? For example, if I have a file:

/source/file.txt 

and I copy it another folder:

ipfs files cp /source/file.txt /reference/file.txt

the two files will refer to the same object. If I make a change to /source/file.txt the copy in /reference/file.txt will still point to the old version. Is there a good way to make it point to the current version of the file in /source/ ?

I could keep track of all the copies and update them whenever I change the original, but that doesn’t sound fun. I could also store the string “/source/file.txt” in /reference/file.txt and manually dereference each time I want to access the file. Better, but still cumbersome. Are there any other options?

Observation:

This feature sounds really useful. Does anyone know if it exists? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen others looking for this too :thinking:.

novaknole asked “How to upload file to IPFS with only front-end” (forum - 14:00 May 14) :white_check_mark:

There are many more questions after this too!

Observation:

This is a lovely thread. Effectively they want to be able to ensure their files being added via js-ipfs are reachable, and we go step-by-step into how. zacharywhitley suggested using the IPFS Pinning Service API, and that really kicked off progress :tada:.