The only IPFS node in Thailand

So last night I started what looks like the only IPFS node running in Thailand. Iā€™m using it to distribute my Bitcoin themed card game website. Here is a link:

https://gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmUkLTGz7wHG53RC5NRm3Yp6uK7sZ7oMXTCqeP68Z3eRHM/

Iā€™m a huge fan of IPFS, itā€™s the way the internet should have been since day one.

My Twitter account @BitcoinEmpireCG recently got suspended and Twitter are not responding to my support tickets. I suspect that I may broken some arbitrary ā€˜code of conductā€™ rules. This is not how freedom of speech should work on the internet. IPFS is definitely a step in the right direction to solve some of the internetā€™s many problems.

3 Likes

Welcome!! Itā€™s awesome to have someone share their business site on IPFS. We need everyone to add their art, music, and creative content site. Interesting game.

Iā€™m in Taiwan and starting to share IPFS links and learning with anyone that will listen. Here is my node :stuck_out_tongue:
https://ipfs.io/ipns/QmfQ1YxZTCRw63DXhsMKGzHqncWaEwJBX6rFxcn1Rf5bmT/

There is a big community of tabletop gamers here that would love your game!

Thanks. Iā€™ve been talking about IPFS with my bitcoin friends for a long time but itā€™s great to be able to show them a working website that Iā€™ve built.

Why is it taking so long to get mass adoption? I donā€™t get it? Itā€™s free hosting forever!

hahaā€¦I just made another post on the importance of IPNS over IPFS for the public. From the conversations with friends and family, the most confusing things are the explanation videos. They all talk in an abstract way to explain this grand idea of the permanent web, without clarifying to everyday users some simple things likeā€¦you have a peerID. You can publish files to your peerID and people can re-visit your peerID to see new content when you publish it. It doesnā€™t even have to be a website. It could be a jpeg of your dog, a pdf with a poem or an audio recording of your latest guitar solo. We now have our own web spaces for free!

Other factors are:

1. up until recently, it was all cli interfaceā€¦most people donā€™t know the power of right-clicking. no way they could manage the little black box. Now there are three drag-n-drop ipfs client!! and they are updating all the time
  2. the documentation is mostly technical. not enough dummy guidesā€¦
    Iā€™m working on changing thatā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPixw90-zJJRztMfsXdHBug

wellā€¦Iā€™ve just discovered that itā€™s not hosting ā€œforeverā€. Your IPNS publishing only last for 24hours

Yes, Iā€™m starting to realize the problems with IPFS now. It seems like my site goes down, or becomes very slow if my node is down for a few hours. So IPFS seems like a small improvement on running your own web server, unless you have a wildly popular website, I assume.

Is there an IPFS hosting provider that website owners can pay to have their sites shared on? This sounds like a pretty backwards strategy actually now that I read it back to myself.

How about this: is there a way website owners can pay nodes to share the website data? Perhaps website sharing nodes could get paid in the same way bitcoin miners get paid (for work)?

By the way, my website now has an ipNs address: https://gateway.ipfs.io/ipns/QmNZJHLdP2apKiXrj6ecuMRLg51coE7SwAq4DAJpZUhTaR/

wellā€¦as the documentation statesā€¦IPFS is still in development. Not a complete system. As a non-technical end-user, Iā€™m running out of things to do on IPFS. Right now itā€™s just a file-sharing system and there are already other file-sharing systems out there. Also, many ā€œold internetā€ services are using decentralized systems to secure their data, so why would IPFS be better?..weā€™ll just have to wait and see if it becomes something more useful.

The only thing about IPFS that really interested me was the self-hosting, and now that bubble has been burstā€¦pretty sad. If I have to resort to paying someone to keep my site hostedā€¦whatā€™s the point. I was imagining totally redefining social media, because you can host and manage your own IDā€¦but itā€™s obviously not there yet.

During the past months, Iā€™ve been raving to everyone I know to try to raise more awareness but most people just donā€™t see how it is better, or they figure out the issues lose interest. Iā€™m still hopeful that it will become more usefulā€¦just sit and waitā€¦

IPFS isnā€™t magic. It doesnā€™t and canā€™t provide free storage. People in the network have control over what their nodes are hosting.

Not yet, but I think filecoin is planning to accomplish something kind of like what youā€™re looking for.

I didnā€™t mean that IPFS is a free storage solution. Iā€™m referencing the free hosting of my website from me own PC. I can publish an HTML page to my peerID. To me, that means hosting my site for free, instead of paying a web-hosting service. But with the limitations of 24 hours, itā€™s not really very useful. Also, reading some other posts, Iā€™m not sure itā€™s secure but I have no idea.

I realize there are a lot of things I donā€™t understand yet and I actively try to learn more every day.

IPNS isnā€™t a requirement to publish a website with IPFS. This blog post has an example of how to host your website on IPFS while using DNS TXT records to point to an /ipfs/ path (or /ipns/ path if you want to deal with IPNS). If you update your website, all you need to do is update your DNS record. I think this is also how ipfs.io is hosted.

Iā€™m optimistic that eventually there will be improvements made to IPNS that make it faster and more robust to the publishing node going down, but itā€™s not required for simple static website hosting.

If you want to use IPNS, you could just set up a script to automatically republish the record every 12 hours or so to keep it alive.

Iā€™m curious what isnā€™t secure. Mind linking to one of the posts that talks about this?

@leerspace thx for the replies. Iā€™ve read many of your posts that have helped my come this far. But Iā€™m not a coder. I donā€™t want to mess with configs I donā€™t understand like DNS ( I donā€™t even know where to find it ). Iā€™m really just an end-users. I read the blogā€¦donā€™t get how to do it.

Iā€™ve tried to contribute what I can. I think Iā€™m the only person to post non-technical tutorial videos about how to use IPFS for everyday users, without cli. The interest in my videos has been so low that Iā€™m not doing any more until there is a big change in the project.

Hosting a website from your IPFS node is pretty much the same as hosting a a website from your own web server.

How about this, users attach some filecoin (or bitcoin) to each file that they would like to distribute across the network and set a price per day limit to encourage nodes to back it up until the funds run out. Then other nodes can prioritize the distribution of files depending on how profitable they are.

yep. Itā€™s rather odd in my opinion.

Or we can store the latest hash in an Ethereum contract, that way it doesnā€™t just dissapear.

go check out Beaker Browser

The incentives you are describing are what Filecoin aims to provide.