Public tcp address not displayed on a Windows machine

Hi folks!

I’m running into a strange issue that someone here with a Windows machine might be able to help me with.

When I run ipfs id on my Windows machine, the Addresses section only ever contains the public udp address /ip4/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/udp/50603/quic/p2p/xxxxxxxxx... but never the tcp equivalent, which is recommended in the docs when using ipfs swarm connect. With that in mind, I have two questions:

• Is this just my machine? Can anybody with a Windows machine test out the ipfs id command and let me know if the public tcp address is present? I am running Windows in a Virtual Box so I’m worried that might be the underlying issue.
  • If this is normal for Windows machines, is it then ok to pass the udp port address when using ipfs swarm connect instead of the tcp port? Are there any issues that come along with passing the udp address instead of tcp?

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Just figured I’d update this with a solution in case anyone ever comes across a similar problem. The issue described in the OP happens due to the default Virtual Box configuration which is set to NAT while it should be set to Bridged Adapter (see pic for reference). On a machine with Windows installed natively, this issue shouldn’t occur.

Thanks to Discordian for helping me figure this out!

1 Like