Public facing gateway and pinning

From @Kolomona on Thu Feb 04 2016 17:56:09 GMT+0000 (UTC)

If I have a public facing gateway and a person retrieves a file through it. Does the file get pinned into my gateway or does the data just pass through without getting pinned? Thanks

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/94

From @lgierth on Thu Feb 04 2016 18:00:01 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Your gateway fetches and stores the data, but doesn’t pin it. It gets removed with the next garbage collection run.

From @Kolomona on Thu Feb 04 2016 20:23:35 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Thank you for your answer.
Does this mean that if someone were to retrieve illegal content through my public gateway then my ipfs instance would be storing and serving the illegal content until it is garbage collected?

If this is true then it seems to be a potential liability issue.

From @Kubuxu on Thu Feb 04 2016 20:33:31 GMT+0000 (UTC)

This is what you get running a public gateway. Either way someone could download illegal content from it which implies that this content would pass through your machine.

There are works to make opt-in badbits lists which would block illegal contented .

From @Kolomona on Thu Feb 04 2016 21:10:16 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Personally, I don’t believe that intellectual property exists as an actual property right, but my opinion will not stop the “Department of Making you Sad” from throwing me into a cage for distributing so called intellectual property.

The opt-in list is a good idea to minimize legal liability for the users as well as the IPFS project itself. There are so many useful and legal services that can be made from a system like IPFS. I believe that IPFS is an amazing technology and I really want it to succeed.

If you are curious about why I believe the way I do then read:

From @Musickiller on Tue Mar 01 2016 13:39:41 GMT+0000 (UTC)

any guides on how to create public facing gateway? please!

From @salsa-dev on Fri Apr 15 2016 22:51:56 GMT+0000 (UTC)

> any guides on how to create public facing gateway? please!

I suppose you just install ipfs node and make nginx proxy to it, right?

From @Kubuxu on Sat Apr 16 2016 06:57:51 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Yes, also enable garbage colection in config, I don’t think it is enabled by default (or run it manually in cron/timer job once a day, few hours or something).

From @Musickiller on Sat Apr 16 2016 07:49:29 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Thanks. I’ve already done it with some other app, but encountered a problem with my ports. They just don’t open, no matter what I do. But it’s not a problem with IPFS, so it’s OK)) Bye!