Is it possible to track first appearances of content on IPFS

Hi,

I am wondering about the ability to trace contents on the IPFS network. Specifically:

• If it is possible to deduce when a content first appeared on the IPFS network and from which IP address did it originate.
  • How to tell which particular host/ip addresses are hosting specific blocks of data in IPFS.

If this information is not readily available, what components of IPFS would you suggest to explore for the possibility of piecing together this kind of information?

Cheers.

So I found this reddit post asking a similar question. And from it, I see that it is possible to query the DHT for node hosting a particular block:

ipfs dht findprovs <cid>

So this basically answers my first question:

How to tell which particular host/ip addresses are hosting specific blocks of data in IPFS

What about the first question? Is there some way to deduce when a content first appeared on the IPFS network and from which IP address did it originate from?

What about the first question? Is there some way to deduce when a content first appeared on the IPFS network and from which IP address did it originate from?

Not unless you were watching the network when the content was first posted. There’s no way to retroactively tell.

1 Like