I have a big local network, where i need to distribute some file. Right now scp is used to upload files from server to destination node. The problem is, that some devices in local network have very poor connection, so scp fails with some timeout with a very big chance.
The common idea is to replace it with a some p2p mechanism, when there is some node in local network, that has source file and this node became some kind of seeder.
This node provide hash of seeding file, which is sent to other devices in local network. Other devices start downloading and distribute this file over whole local network. Important note: every time i need to distribute file, different node could be selected as source one.
Problems to solve:
- Avoid wan overhead in terms of frame size;
- Avoid failing on timeout.
- Is that possible with IPFS? If not, is there any p2p alternatives?
- It seems that i don’t need bootstrap lists, because all peers i’m interested in are behind firewall in my local network. Will IPFS work properly without bootstrap list? Is that possible to somehow discover peers in local network?
- Is there a way to tell IPFS search for peers only in local network?