IPFS and Blockchain. What is the benefit?

I read on the landing page ipfs.io. it says: “IPFS and the Blockchain are a perfect match! You can address large amounts of data with IPFS, and place the immutable, permanent IPFS links into a blockchain transaction. This timestamps and secures your content, without having to put the data on the chain itself.”
I don’t know why “it can secure my content”. And is that any other benefit when I use IPFS with blockchain?
If anyone knows may you explain me?
Many thanks!!!

Two benefits from the top of my head.

“Secure content” means that you’ll get the content that you requested, and you can prove it, since you get content based on the hash of the content (also called “content-addressed”). When you received it, you can hash it and be sure that the content is what you wanted.

Second benefit is that you get a P2P network stack built-in (really is libp2p which can be used standalone as well, but is included and used by IPFS itself) so you don’t have to reinvent all those things.

1 Like

Combining the “shared review” of each block in a blockchain together with hashes that are unique for their own content can provide a highly “trustable” way to track operations, which would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to tamper with. Many organizations and associations can be interested in this.

1 Like