Intermittent Gateway Timeout

I am trying to host content on IPFS by adding it to my local IPFS node but most often I get a gateway timeout when trying to access them via ipfs.io. This behavior is the same whether it’s a tiny image or a large video. Sometimes it works and the content is delivered and sometimes it doesn’t and the behavior is very black and white: the content will either deliver immediately without delay or not at all. UPnP seems to be working to open a port on the firewall, and I can access IPFS via this port externally, but that doesn’t seem to matter, I still get gateway timeouts.

If I connect to my node externally on the port opened by UPnP it connects and the server responds:

telnet my.public.facing.node 51429
Trying x.y.z.w...
Connected to my.public.facing.node
Escape character is '^]'.
/multistream/1.0.0

If I run ipfs dht findprovs x on one of my files’ hashes it hangs forever
If I run ipfs dht provide x on one of my files’ hashes it hangs forever

If I add the -v flag I get a whole bunch of errors from a sea of nodes it attempts to talk to:

• failed to negotiate security protocol: connected to wrong peer
  • connect: connection refused
  • dial attempt failed: stream reset
  • i/o timeout

I’ve removed these files and re-added them using the command line to recursively pin them to be sure: ipfs pin add x

My aim is to host files permanently on this decentralized system but with this strange and erroneous behavior I am still very far from that goal.

Go IPFS Version: 0.4.20

Unfortunately, the DHT is in a really sorry state at the moment which is causing problems for content routing. The primary issue is that we have a ton of unreachable DHT nodes which is effectively acting like a massive sibyl attack on the network.

Discussion:

Related:

Isn’t there any interim work-around for this such as forcing a list of well-known peers?

I have a user-base that is being barred from my content right now until I figure-out how to resolve this.

Maybe setting a private network for your users will enable to have a smaller and healthier DHT? But AFAIK, you won’t ve able to fetch content outside your user base, I don’t know if it is compatible with your use case or not.