Matt (@flyingzumwalt) is on vacation right now. If he wasn't on vacation he would observe that we're talking about two different phases of trial, which is causing confusion. He would then offer this clarification:
Phase 1: Kick the tires on ipfs.trydiscourse.com
We are in Phase 1 right now. The primary purpose of Phase 1 is to decide whether to proceed to Phase 2. It's easy to back out of Phase 1 if we decide this was a bad idea, but we want to keep Phase 1 as short as possible because it puts us in a strange in-between state.
What happens in Phase 1:
- Run the forums at ipfs.trydiscourse.com so it's clear we're just kicking tires
- Create user accounts, create some threads, try to host a few discussions
- Leave existing repos for faq, support, community, etc intact and continue maintaining them
- Decide whether to proceed to Phase 2
Some people are really eager to get out of Phase 1. Other people have expressed hesitation. The primary thing to do in phase one is to address everyone's concerns before proceeding.
Phase 2: Make a Real Go of it on community.ipfs.io
Phase 2 of the trial is what you're all discussing, where we would do things like @hector lists
- Moving this to a proper domain under ipfs.io
- Killing about every repo which people are using to ask questions/get support/discuss
- Making sure people dont ask questions in Github, closing any issues asking for support, etc
As @hector and @richard have both said, in order for Phase 2 to work, we will need to be "all in". Because of that, we need everyone to agree that we should do it. Also, backing out of Phase 2 would be a lot harder, so we should pause to make sure we want to proceed before we do it.
How do we decide whether to Proceed to Phase 2?
Given this clearer language, the question we need to answer is How do we decide whether to Proceed to Phase 2? If you feel we have already made this decision, please say what were the factors that drove this decision.
Some things that definitely need to happen before we proceed to Phase 2:
- Make sure @jbenet has weighed in. He has expressed misgivings in the past.
- Make sure all of the Project Leads have agreed to be "all in" with this, treating threads on discourse with as much attention as they would give to an issue in ipfs/support (or more!)
- Write down the things that drove this decision, and get a record that everyone agreed -- this might mainly be links to existing discussions in Github or discourse. Put that info into https://github.com/ipfs/community/issues/190
Is there anything else that needs to happen before we say it's time to start Phase 2?
(Since @flyingzumwalt is on vacation, he's pre-emptively giving a for proceeding to Phase 2)