Hosting my website on IPFS

I manage a website that is currently hosted on my companies servers. Currently they don’t charge me. But I want to host it on IPFS. I am willing to buy some FIL tokens if needed. The question is. Is there currently an easy way to host my website on IPFS, it uses the following
Apache
PHP
MySQL
SSL

1 Like

You can only host a static website only, on IPFS. :slight_smile: Think of it is a big file system and no CPU.

1 Like

If it’s not a static site you might be interested in the recent posts on IPNS-Link

Does IPNS-Link still suffer the same performance capability as IPNS? IPNS of course can take like 2 to 3 minutes to update content.

Not sure but a good question for @SomajitDey

If love to see someone more knowledgeable than I do a blog post on the current state of IPNS. I have a hard time telling if people’s experience with it is referring to the default implementation or the newer pubsub implementation (which is still experimental). Is it really all that bad though? I always compare it to DNS and it’s not like that’s instantaneous.

@husamia Exposing server-side code (i.e. dynamic websites / web-apps) with IPNS is IPNS-Link’s primary goal. You won’t even need SSL. You may look into the project here and ipns.live or read our blogposts. But since you mentioned free-of-cost hosting on company servers, and your desire for alternate hosting, I’m sure you understand that to run server-side code (PHP), you’d need servers and IPFS doesn’t provide you with that (as @wclayf mentioned). Once you can arrange for servers however, IPNS-Link can do the rest; you don’t need to worry about public IP, domain names, SSL management etc. Moreover, if you do own a domain name, you can conveniently make a DNSLink to the IPNS address that IPNS-Link provides you.

@wclayf IPNS over pubsub is rather fast. With a good swarm for both exposer and gateway, we find newly minted IPNS records within a minute usually. BTW, IPNS-Link uses IPNS records mainly for transmitting the multiaddresses of the origin-server and some instructions for the gateway. Because it uses inlining, getting the IPNS record is enough to get all that data - no further bitswap needed. The IPNS record is cached for 24 hrs so all requests after the first one are served quicker. The first one takes ~60s tops, in the worst case. The exposer keeps republishing IPNS records over pubsub and DHT every 15m, for better availability and also to reflect any change in multiaddress. So, most IPNS records are found very quickly. In case the IPNS-Link-gateway fails to retrieve it within 30s, it even asks ipfs.io because the latter has a bigger swarm.

@zacharywhitley Thanks for the mention.

I tried the hosting HTML static website with the demo. Host a single-page website on IPFS | IPFS Docs

It works but only for the hello world website. my own HTML doesn’t work. I presume its because I am not running a full node?

Maybe you and I can take this offline, I run multiple static websites on IPFS, I can show you how to do it. Here are some examples:

/ipns/yves.lempereur.name
/ipns/www.darkconquest.org

And here is a test using true ipns:

/ipns/k51qzi5uqu5dhey9e5fzsb2w8bldgoxx3znk1ddusv4emrfaftib9ozjb1vpk9

I even have the first two mapped to Web 2.0 as:

https://yves.lempereur.name
https://www.darkconquest.org

I can show you how to do all that, it’s not difficult.

For static websites you can just import the entire folder in ipfs desktop (one way I can think of)

That’s it. unless your website is running then asking from a database about stuffs, then you have to run your database on ipfs, while ipfs can keep track of datas they aren’t mutable by design, but it’s possible for implementing your own virtual file system or use IPNS that’s already there to pretend that the files are mutable and then you are going to build your applications using that database which i would say looks like a no-sql storage which then you can pretend it as sql too i guess

If you are interested, I am developing a way to host anything on ipfs, let me know if you are interested.