Government Environmental Data on the IPFS

Hi,

I work for a quasi government entity that produces a lot of environmental data. I have heard the powers above want to make our data public. We have an internal DB and interface but opening it up to the public is a security nightmare. I would love to pitch putting this data on the IPFS (because IPFS is awesome) but I’m not sure if it would work. This is where I’m reaching out for help.

Our data is structured as followed:
Basically we have a result (a number) associated with:

• a test (say aluminium mg/L);
  • a sample point (a code and description of the place POINT12345 - Hillside at the hill);
  • a time ( 24/03/2018 09:00:00 AM)

There is another table for sample points. I mentioned the sample point codes earlier. Each sample point it associated with location Coordinates.

Basically what I’m thinking is that we could put the data on the IPFS and simply have an interface via our website that shows all the sample points and allows the public to click on a sample point and see the data for it.

It’s important to note that this could be a lot of data i.e about 4GB atm and ever increasing by about 0.2 (ish) GB per year.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea? Anyone able to give me some advice on this?

1 Like

hi,

good idea good project you can see that maybe can help you to structure your data : https://github.com/ipld/ipld

happy hacking !

1 Like

This sounds like a great use-case. I agree that IPLD may be a better approach although IPFS is probably simpler at the moment.

@flyingzumwalt will probably be interested in talking to you.

FYI: 4GiB isn’t that much data for IPFS (unless you store it in a bunch of tiny files, we’re getting better at handling small files but it’s still a work in progress).

1 Like