Files stored for public use, how do public find stored files

I am using a PC so the commands in the tutorials on discuss ipfs are not working
Please use a pc command line structure in your answers
or a how to, via the localhost GUI
I have stored files to my IPFS localhost for public use, not pinned
I am connected to 331 public peers

1. How do the public find my files ?
  2. How do I find and access other peers public files?
    3 how do I communicate to ie contact the public peers
1 Like

I donā€™t know enough, but I always thought that ipfs (available here for many platforms including Windows) was cross-platform also in the commands that are available. (?) Anyone with more insight?

1 Like

I think thatā€™s generally true. The only difference I can think of (or that Iā€™ve encountered) is that a command like

ipfs config --json API.HTTPHeaders.Access-Control-Allow-Origin '["*"]'

would be the following on Windows (reference):

ipfs config --json API.HTTPHeaders.Access-Control-Allow-Origin "[\"*\"]"

Hi Jay and leerspace - tried the command ie C&P to a command prompt dos window and run it - it did not work I still get the failed IPFS Station message when trying to run via google chrome add onā€™s

Oh snap, it looks like your node is not running yet.

Please start it by running ipfs daemon on your terminal.

Also, please make sure you have CORS enabled, by running
ipfs config --json API.HTTPHeaders ā€˜{ā€œAccess-Control-Allow-Originā€: ["*"]}ā€™

I have tried both and am stuck - daemon is running fine or I would not get a localhost and 317 peers

I still have not worked out how to communicate with the peers - but one step at a time LOL

What error do you get when running the command below?

ipfs config --json API.HTTPHeaders.Access-Control-Allow-Origin "[\"*\"]"

I just ran it again and there is no error it just goes back to the prompt > but still get the Oh snap error- will try to morrow now - off to bed 03:10 here in the UK Catch you then.

When you try again, it might be worth making sure the daemon has been restarted after running the command (if your daemon hasnā€™t already been restarted by tomorrow).

HI Leerspace - IPFS Station up and working, properly needed the reboot - I Just done a youtube search for tutorials none found - google just links back to here no videos - I know I am Lazy - But If someone has it all worked out for Dummies like me? why not - Thanks for help

You could try to use the Docker container , which is setting the CORS headers by default (including ["*"] as allowed origins)

1 Like