Check out my flashcard app that uses the IPFS!

Check out my project. I’d love some feedback. It’s not 100% decentralized, because I still need some of the speed and features of a traditional database. If you guys could help me think of a way to make it completely IPFS based I would love to hear.

For now, I think this a novel and intriguing approach to combining centralized and decentralized data storage. In my scheme, although the data is being retrieved from a centralized server, each change in the users data is being backed up on the IPFS, with the CID locations stored in the computer’s local storage. If my server goes down, they will be able to instantly access all of their data.

Another use of the IPFS here is that users have to pay for their own media file storage. This could be an interesting use case for other projects. What I’ve done is that my centralized database does not store media files, therefore my server costs are pretty low. If users want to store a ton of media they have to pay Pinata (or run their own node, although I don’t have that option developed yet).

My goals are to further develop this python desktop app, then make a webapp flashcard reviewer using javascript. I’ve got a bunch of other app ideas that could tie into this ecosystem, like a browser plugin that can make and save flashcards of the website you are reading.

I’m not sure if this is a justified use of IPFS, but I considered a lot of other options about how to achieve my goals and it seems to make sense. I want to store the user’s flashcard data in a decentralized way such that users and other developers who’d like to use or build on top of it don’t have to worry about my centralized server going down. Hope its not just a Rube Goldberg machine. Can’t wait for your feedback.