Cat Hash - Where to Find? Newbie (Ubuntu)

Hi people,

I initialised an IPFS node a few months ago and should have received a hash…something like cat / etc.

I didn’t make note of the hash. I have IPFS desktop up and running. How do I get the hash?

Cheers.

You get hashes by adding files to IPFS, not initializing a node.

Initializing nodes gives you peer ID. If you want you can see it the main page of the webui.

I think they might be talking about the CID displayed after an “ipfs init” “to get started…”

There’s nothing special about that file. I think it’s just a read me that protocol labs makes sure is avaiable on the network to test that it’s working.

It’s shown in the docs here

Ah yes, I think you are right, I’m using ipfs init -e that why I don’t have it.

I think it’s just a read me that protocol labs makes sure is avaiable on the network to test that it’s working.

Actually this doesn’t test the network, because unless you have used ipfs init -e your node inits it’s datastore with this file already pinned, so you don’t crawl the network or anything like that, it justs pulls it out of your drive.

Thanks guys. There’s a reference to what I’m talking about on the following page:

But when I go to initialise so that I can see the hash, I get the following error:

“Error: ipfs configuration file already exists!
Reinitializing would overwrite your keys.”

Web reference:

ipfs init

> initializing ipfs node at /Users/jbenet/.ipfs
> generating 2048-bit RSA keypair...done
> peer identity: Qmcpo2iLBikrdf1d6QU6vXuNb6P7hwrbNPW9kLAH8eG67z
> to get started, enter:
>
>   **ipfs cat /ipfs/QmYwAPJzv5CZsnA625s3Xf2nemtYgPpHdWEz79ojWnPbdG/readme**

Yes this because you are trying to create a new node on top of your old one.

The hash you are searching is literally : QmYwAPJzv5CZsnA625s3Xf2nemtYgPpHdWEz79ojWnPbdG (copied from the docs), it’s the same for everyone.

Thanks Jorropo. That was the quickest reply I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

Actually, I’m going through this video and the guy uses the has from 3:06 to 3:08. His hash is different.

Is the hash just related to a website or something? Sorry if these questions are a bit dumb, but I’m completely new to this.

Ahhh…starting to make sense. The hash is the equivalent of an IP address, no? :slight_smile:

I guess he has an old version of IPFS

Not at all, the hash is generated from the content, it’s the fingerprint of the content, a single hash match only one contents (so you know no one can cheat you).

Makes sense. Thanks for your help.