Can routing bridge across transports

From @novocodev on Tue Mar 29 2016 13:00:14 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Does IPFS bridge the routing protocol across transports, e.g. if I have a number of IoT devices in my home that work over Bluetooth, and I have a home hub that supports Bluetooth and has access to the Internet.

If all devices are running IPFS can I interact with the IoT devices via a mobile phone running IPFS with an internet connection. Will the home hub bridge the routing protocol across transports so that the IoT devices are accessible from my mobile device?

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/ipfs/faq/issues/103

From @RichardLitt on Tue Mar 29 2016 23:52:32 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Good question! @diasdavid, I think you might be best to answer this. Thoughts?

From @vitzli on Sun Apr 10 2016 05:47:44 GMT+0000 (UTC)

I am not a developer for ipfs, but according to Issue #7 I would say ‘yes, it will be possible in future’, AFAIK right now ipfs only supports IP addressing, however, if it is possible to run IP-over-BT - I don’t see any reasons that would interfere with it. I don’t know if ipfs could work with non-IP networks like i2p and tor, but it should be possible to run non-anonymous gateways on such networks.

From @diasdavid on Wed Apr 13 2016 22:41:30 GMT+0000 (UTC)

@novocodev traffic can be relayed/line switched/packet switch across multiple transports, it is something we designed in the core of libp2p to enable more interoperability between different devices with different capabilities. However these features haven’t been released yet.

From @novocodev on Thu Apr 14 2016 08:49:30 GMT+0000 (UTC)

@diasdavid this is great news, I’m still early in project development/design so more interested in planned feature support than implementation right now.

From @Kubuxu on Thu Apr 14 2016 09:31:20 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Please leave this issue open. As FAQ question it is important for it to be easily visible.