Can I delete my content from the network?

From @kakra on Mon May 01 2017 22:26:29 GMT+0000 (UTC)

@mixmastamyk You don’t have to bother with your local storage filling up. Just don’t pin the content. The local storage only acts as a limited sized cache, unused data will be discarded.

Regarding the rest: Part of this could be solved by deploying encryption by default. If you want to share with everyone, just don’t encrypt. Otherwise some sort of key chain is needed that ensures only allowed parties can view the content but it would still be distributed accross the ipfs network.

BTW: Does the ipfs ever forget? I mean, after all it should be permanent. But if nobody references the files any longer, and nobody requests them, they should fade away, do they?

Regarding DCMA requests and blacklists: Is this really a usable solution? I could change one bit in a video stream, that wouldn’t hurt the stream at all. But the hash would be completely different. This smells like the myth of Sisyphos… It would result in requests to detect offending files by fingerprinting, would there be a solution using fingerprinting? Maybe by distributing (and enforcing) additional metadata with the files…