Browse/read IPFS mount in Ubuntu Desktop and desktop apps

I’ve mounted IPFS in Ubuntu desktop, and that seems to work fine in terminal. However, I was really hoping to be able to access pinned IPFS data in the desktop and desktop apps. Is there a way to do this? Read-only is all I need, but is there a way to somehow mount a directory CID to a directory that is browse-able in the desktop and from desktop apps so apps can read from it?

you need to add them to MFS.

ipfs files cp /ipfs/QmExample /example/path/inside/the/desktop

Oh, so there is a way to achieve this?

I am not familiar with MFS. I am trying to read about it now. If you have any additional info for us noobs, always appreciated. Thank you for your reply!

I wasn’t able to figure this out, and unfortunately it is holding me back since I have limited SSD storage. Rather than having all the data duplicated, I was hoping to see this and make this work somehow.

Can anyone help? I think this could benefit a lot of people.

Anyone know of a way to accomplish what I’m trying to do? Have a usable desktop-browsable mount with IPFS holding the data?

Wondering if there is any update to this - if anyone knows the answer and is willing to help. Thank you.

Hey what are you blocked with here?

The answer provided will work to get a CID into MFS.

ipfs files cp /ipfs/QmNsXkTWPv9uNHJGwc4DHM285cipEbDNwoeHiihYsckanu /disco

Then you’ll have a file in your IPFS mount at /disco with the contents of QmNsXkTWPv9uNHJGwc4DHM285cipEbDNwoeHiihYsckanu.

I tried doing that with path /home/user/examplefolder

When I go into /home/user/examplefolder I get the “Folder is Empty” message

I appreciate your reply. You see what I’m trying to do here right? Use IPFS as a filesystem that I can browse/share/read. I realize there may not be a way to edit the files and have it updated in IPFS. But is there at least a way to read files like this?

Are you looking for something like FUSE (kubo/fuse.md at master · ipfs/kubo · GitHub)? Support is experimental and I don’t believe being worked on, but I’ve seen some people find some success using it.

You won’t be able to access all your pinned objects I don’t believe, unless you place them into MFS. I’m not very experienced with the FUSE mount.